[Marxism] Re:Marxist analysis of US/Israel offensives

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 27 09:00:07 MDT 2006

>The Marxist tools of analysis can explain why they're picking what they
>pick, but its imperial hubris and arrogance.  All superpowers have a very
>low resistance to it.
>
>ML

Last night I was telling my wife that from a Marxist point of view it would
be in the interests of the Israeli ruling class to abolish their own
version of apartheid and institute a bourgeois democracy along the lines of
South Africa. That bourgeois democracy has left class privileges intact and
co-opted a layer of the ANC into supporting economic apartheid. Anybody who
has studied the PLO would conclude that there are no shortage of
Palestinian versions of Thabo Mbeki. Of course, Hamas is a different story
altogether. It would probably take a couple of more years to co-opt them as
well and those who would not be co-opted would become marginalized in the
swamp of electoral politics.

So why doesn't Israel act in its own class interests?

That is what I was trying to say yesterday in reply to Gilles's question,
but without much success I'm afraid. In Karl Marx's "Contribution to the
Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right," Karl Marx writes, "Material force
can only be overthrown by material force; but theory also becomes a
material force as soon as it has gripped the masses." In Israel, theory in
the form of Zionist racial supremacy has certainly gripped the masses just
as it did among the Afrikaners. It will take material force--such as
Hezbollah rockets--to begin to dislodge this theory from their brains.

--

www.marxmail.org