[Marxism] Re:Marxist analysis of US/Israel offensives

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 27 09:27:44 MDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> > One wonders why.  The reason, I submit, is our weakness, i.e., the
> weakness of leftists in Israel and the United States.  That's what
> makes our power elite greedy and go out of control.

There is no real settling of the options here, but I would opt for the
opposite. Leftists in the u.s. and elsewhere are weak because for 60
years capitalism (and in particular u.s. capitalism) has been so strong.
For those familiar with the book, Fanny in _Mansfield Park_ offers an
analogy. For a couple hundred years critics of the book have seen Fanny
as weak, but clearly her _apparent_ weakness was a function of the
strength of the social relations within which she struggled to survive.
When push came to shove, she faced down Sir Thomas.

Carrol