[Marxism] Why Israel is defeated...or not

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 27 15:21:14 MDT 2006

The capture of the two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah was the pretext
for an Israel's attack that had long been planned.

Israel's demands were:
Implementation of 1559 (disarm Hezbollah), return of the two
soldiers, no negociations with the "terrorists". Then, as immediate
events on the ground were not going to plan -- i.e. Hezbollah started
to disrupt Nothern Israel's peace and tranquility, the Israeli
government raised the ante: Get rid of Hezbollah, get rid of the
"cancer" (term used by an Israeli diplomat in SF). No need for an
international force to be posted in the South since a buffer zone all
the way North back to the Litani river (water anyone?) would be put
in place by the valiant warriors.

Well, let's see:

Hizbollah is far from disarmed. Actually, I can't fathom that
Israelis could believe they can disarm Hizbollah or get rid of it.
They could not achieve that aim for some 18 years, and they would
have to either kill or expel some 40 pct of the Lebanese population.

Hizbollah is a much more formidable force -- guerilla-wise -- than in
2000 when they finally forced Israel to go home (but for the Shaba
farms). Israel has a long and painful way to go before she can reach
the Litani.

The Israeli government does not talk much of liberating the two
soldiers anymore...

It now talks of a 1.2 mile buffer and the presence of an
international force, which will not be able to disarm Hizbollah more
than the Israeli or Lebanese armies can.

Economic activity in Northern Israel has come to a screeching halt. A
quarter of a million Israelis have become internally displaced
people. To put it mildly, Israel is not used to this kind of
medecine.

The pro-US Lebanese government has been utterly destabilized. A huge
majority of the Lebanese people support Hizbollah resistance to the
invader.

The entire world is confronted with the US-Israeli collusion --
clear, naked pornography of sadistic violence.

It adds to the travails in Iraq...

I mean, the list is endless.

Now, anyone can see that a short buffer won't stop Hizbollah to rain
rockets on the Galilee and Haiffa -- wonderful place and city, BTW.
With a range of 30 miles plus, 1.2 mile won't make a difference.

Hizbollah will regroup and we will be back to square one.

But, here is the catch: Maybe this entire atrocity has little to do
with Hizbollah and all to do with the American enterprise in the
Mideast -- total control. Remaining to be under the boots are the
Syrians and the Iranians. Maybe, this is where it's going, courtesy
of the the US plans. If Hizbollah can't be brought into submission
then its "sponsors" must be dealt with forcefully. Perhaps, the *real
objective* has little to do with Lebanon. Egypt, Jordan, Saudi
Arabia, the Gulf mini states are all in the US ledger. Missing are
Syria and Iran, the last two pawns on the US chessboard. The road to
Damascus and Teheran by and through Beirut?

It's strange (to me) that Israel does not see that she is another
pawn... but oh well...

Allow me to inject a little humor in the midst of this mayhem: I was
asking an Israeli friend what the heck was going on with this planned
sudden madness. Her answer: "Well, we are the only democracy in the
region as the story goes. Lebanon was competing with our angelic
status. This could not be tolerated. Then, think of it, it's good for
business."

It says it all, no?

Gilles d'Aymery
Swans.com