[Marxism] "Explanations" Divorced from Political Projects

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 08:38:13 MDT 2006

On 7/28/06, g.maclennan at qut.edu.au <g.maclennan at qut.edu.au> wrote:
> >Whenever the Tel Aviv-Washington axis goes to war, invading
> >Afghanistan, Iraq, Gaza, Lebanon, whatever, Marxists get busy,offering "explanations."  Who cares?  No one.
> >
> >Yoshie
>
> Actually Yoshie my experience is that periods like the present open up an audience for us precisely because explanations are what people look for - no scare quotes needed.

There sure has been a great profusion of liberal and leftist books and
articles about the current period, from flaky (911 conspiracy theory),
simplistic (peak oil), (ultimately) red herrings (the Israel Lobby,
neocons, fundamentalists, etc.), to wonky (where lots of Marxist
"explanations" fit in).  The more books and articles proliferate,
though, the fewer people get into the streets.  Why is that?

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>