[Marxism] "Explanations" Divorced from Political Projects

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Jul 28 08:56:10 MDT 2006

Marxists today operate in a society very different than it was in past
decades.  I don't see this as a problem peculiar to the Left.

People just don't go into the streets.  Not for demos or Memorial Day
parades or much of anything.  People even seem to practice their religion by
way of the idiot box.  Well, I admit that people do go out to the malls...

The problem is that mass culture and mass communications has created an
electronic consumer civic culture that atomizes everything and offers
individualized modes of coming to grips with society and the status quo.
This had obviously changed the nature of civic culture and, while I think we
need to get these concerns into the streets, I think this requires new
thinking and new approaches in which the Left is not alone in its
deficiencies.....

ML