[Marxism] There did exist a state in Latin America (two)

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Jul 28 14:48:46 MDT 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:28 Jul 2006, a las 7:17

> there did exist a state --
> the Ottoman Empire (an experience missing in the Americas) -- that
> encompassed North Africa, West Asia, and parts of Europe, and that the
> dissolution of that state -- from internal and external pressures --
> was as significant a world-historical event as the conquest of the New
> World in the development of capitalism

I am afraid Yoshie is wrong on this assumption.  On this, there
exists a common starting point for Arabs and Latin Americans.  There
_did_ exist such a state (or equivalent thereof) in Latin America,
which was the Hispanic Empire (and its counterpart, the Portuguese
Empire).  The relation between Ibero-Americans and their metropolises
was different from that which was established between capitalist
colonies or colonial territories and Britain, France, Japan, etc.

In fact, at least in Hispanic America the wars for Emancipation of
the early 19th Century were an integral part of the crisis of _that_
state, and the revolutionaries of those times struggled to keep that
unity of the state against the modern capitalist powers of Europe,
namely Britain.  On this, they continued the warlike effort of the
Bourbon dinasties of Spain after 1750, more or less.  What's more:
many of them were important officials during the late years of the
Spanish regime.

As a consequence of the above, for Latin Americans, 1492 is NOT the
year when any "old world" of ours ended, but the _starting point_ for
Latin America.  There was no Latin America, nor could have existed,
prior to 1492.  We are full size half-caste, from the beginning.  And
proud of that.

Our relation towards the Spanish (and Portuguese) colonization can
_by no means_ be equated with that of the First Nations in North
America against the settlers who came in to destroy them and wipe the
land of people.  I am not romanticizing it, but it was quite
different, and miscegenation (at every level, and, yes, full of rape,
violence, crime, etc., I am not denying this) has a lot to do with
all the problem (or not).

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar