[Marxism] "Explanations" Divorced from Political Projects

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 03:29:41 MDT 2006

On 7/28/06, Mark Lause <MLause at cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> The problem is that mass culture and mass communications has created an
> electronic consumer civic culture that atomizes everything and offers
> individualized modes of coming to grips with society and the status quo.
> This had obviously changed the nature of civic culture

Look ye what mass communication has wrought!

"...a few days ago the Harris Poll reported that 50 percent of Americans now
believe that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when we invaded, *up* from
36 percent in February 2005.

"Meanwhile, 64 percent still believe that Saddam had strong links with Al
Qaeda.

"It's hard to imagine what the world looks like to the large number of
Americans who get their news by watching Fox and listening to Rush Limbaugh,
but I get a pretty good sense from my mailbag.

"Many of my correspondents are living in a world in which the economy is
better than it ever was under Bill Clinton, newly released documents show
that Saddam really was in cahoots with Osama, and the discovery of some
decayed 1980's-vintage chemical munitions vindicates everything the
administration said about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. (Hyping of the
munitions find may partly explain why public belief that Saddam had W.M.D.
has made a comeback.)

"Some of my correspondents have even picked up on claims, mostly
disseminated on right-wing blogs, that the Bush administration actually did
a heck of a job after Katrina.

"It's all very Orwellian, of course. But when Orwell wrote of "a nightmare
world in which the Leader, or some ruling clique, controls not only the
future but the past," he was thinking of totalitarian states. Who would have
imagined that history would prove so easy to rewrite in a democratic nation
with a free press?"

-- "Reign Of Error"
New York Times,
July 28, 2006
Author: PAUL KRUGMAN

Does this seem like something out of North Korea or what?

Why would anyone march on the street if they have managed to become
convinced that everything is going just great?

There are some really difficult-to-surmount problems here.

I wonder... whre does this enormous trust in authority come from?  Even
young people these days don't seem to rebel against their parents as they
used to, apparently. Trust in parental authority-figures is at historical
highs. How did this happen? (Is there a "marxist explanation" for this? :-)
)