[Marxism] Protesters: War a man's issue

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Sat Jul 29 18:07:26 MDT 2006

From: "Jesse Jack" <jjack99645 at gmail.com>

>I find it interesting that, while Condoleeza Rice trots around the world
> trying to drum up sympathy for the Israeli war machine, anyone could try
> blame this war on the male gender. I can recall years ago hearing people
> make statements such as "If women ran the world, there would be no war"
> while Madeline Albright rained death upon Yugoslavia.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised to hear that women are more "anti-war" in general,
> but this whole argument is a red herring. Men don't gain from war. As a
> man,
> I haven't gained anything from war other than the fear of being
> conscripted.
> If men happen to be over-represented in the ruling class that DOES gain
> from
> war, it doesn't mean much because that class is such a minute percentage
> of
> the total population. The truth is that class struggle is the root of this
> conflict; blaming it on one gender only obscures the point.

I've heard various people talk about the effects of militarisation in
Israeli society, including amongst women (who serve in the army as well).
Anyone know any good material on this? On a different subject, also any good
writing on the role played by women in the Soviet army (that's not written
from a reactionary perspective)?

Solidarity,
Ian