[Marxism] "Explanations" Divorced from Political Projects

Jesse Jack jjack99645 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 22:40:19 MDT 2006

>  The more books and articles proliferate,
> though, the fewer people get into the streets.  Why is that?

The problem in the U.S. is that we're so alienated from politics that when
we go to a peace rally we feel like Che Guevara. Because, you know, what if
your boss sees you? Or worse yet, your Bill O'Reilly loving grandfather?
Gee, you'll be so embarassed at Thanksgiving dinner that you'll just die!
And those songs and chants...what if your friends saw you *singing*? Why,
you might as well be marching in the nude.

Then when marching around in circles fails to accomplish anything, it's hard
for people to justify the perceived risk. And, of course, if we can't get
people out to peace rallies, there's no way in hell we're going to get them
to become union or party organizers.

I'm not trying to say that I'm superior to this; in fact, I'm telling you
about my own flaws.