[Marxism] Re: Protesters: War a man's issue

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 30 04:54:10 MDT 2006

Steffie Brooks wrote:

> If anyone has relevant data on women in the Israeli military
> (including if they serve for the same length tours of duty, in combat
> or support roles, and how much they confront sexual violence) I would
> be extremely interested.
>
> Steffie
Frankly, I'd be more interested in information on the combat role of women
in the Soviet Union during World War II and during the revolutionary wars in
China, Vietnam, Cuba, and Nicaragua. While the heavy hand of the past was
present, I'm sure, in the composition and internal structure of these
political parties and their armed forces, I suspect the historical record of
these conflicts would still cast some doubt on the thesis that war is
primarily a "gendered" rather than a class phenomenon.