[Marxism] Protesters: War a man's issue

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 30 12:06:46 MDT 2006

Joaquin Bustelo wrote:

> Jesse Jack writes: "Obviously gender predates class, but that does not
> necessarily make it the dominant conflict driving an instance of warfare, or
> any other social interaction you might come up with. I agree that you can't
> reduce it strictly to class. I simply feel that class has more to do with
> it."
>
> A friend of mine quotes Betita Martinez as saying that there is something in
> U.S. culture and especially left culture that abhors complexity. Saying
> "class has more to do with it" is an example of this, because isn't class a
> gendered phenomenon? And in the United States, isn't is also completely
> "racialized"?

I very much like what Barbara Jeanne Fields noted in reference to
debates about which is "more important," class or race or gender etc:
She compared it to mathematcians arguing about whether the numerator or
denominator of fractions was more important. As Joaauin says, in
material reality class is always genderd and "racialized" (and, of
course, gender is always "racialized" ....)

Carrol