[Marxism] How to answer these questions?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 11:14:17 MDT 2006

On 7/31/06, dwalters at marxists.org <dwalters at marxists.org> wrote:
> But anti-Semitism is a red-herring. It is the effect of Zionism, not the cause
> of anti-Zionism. For anti-Semitism to be the motive force of Hezbollah or Hamas
> or any of the Palestinian organizations or individuals, that is, for it to *mean
> something* you'd have to show that if it were the French or British occupying
> Palestine that opposition to this occupation would be that much less.

You can't propose a purely hypothetical test that is impossible to
apply in reality and hope it to convince those who aren't already
convinced.

The test that we can actually apply would be to see if individuals and
organizations make relevant distinctions, between Zionism and Judaism,
Israelis and Jews, etc. or refuse to do so and hold all Jews
responsible for actions of the Tel Aviv-Washington axis.  Those who do
the latter must be criticized, even if they are members of oppressed
nations.

Deliberate or inadvertent confusion of anti-Zionism and anti-Jewish
hatred must be combated, but we can't combat it efficaciously if we
defend the indefensible, for we lose credibility we need to combat the
confusion.

> So, we have to ask, partly in response to the Zionists, about Arab
> anti-Semitism: "true in some cases, but WHY do they hate Jews?". The answer, of
> course, is that they fight against the occupier and THIS is the only question at
> the end of the day.

When the fight against the Tel Aviv-Washington axis will end in a
victory for the Palestinians and other Arabs, will they be able to
live with Jews and vice versa?  After all, a majority of Israeli Jews
and their ancestors did not originally come from Europe -- they are
Jews who came from various places in the Middle East, like Iraq, Iran,
Egypt, etc.  Forthright criticism of actually-existing anti-Semitism
not only will help the Palestinians in resistance but also will help
the Palestinians, as well as Jews, live lives after the occupation --
hard as it may be to imagine them now -- in peace.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>