[Marxism] Fidel Castro's health - ANNOUNCEMENT

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 31 20:18:38 MDT 2006

Fidel Castro's principal advisor, Carlos Valenciaga, read a prepared
statement tonight on Cuban television, right after the conclusion of
the evening news cast. In the announcment, written by Fidel Castro
himself, and personally signed by him with today's date, we learned
that following Fidel's trip to Argentina, for the Mercosur summit,
the Cordoba rally and the visit to Che Guevara's birth city, and in
light of the two speeches he gave on July 26th, in Bayamo and in
Cordoba, that he'd developed a problem of stomach hemorraging.

The text is not available yet, but it will surely be available quite
soon. It's not posted on any of the Cuban sites as this is written.
When it's posted, I'll send it on to the various lists.

It was further announced, by Fidel in his statement, that because of
his need to recover following surgery today, his principal Cuban
government assisnments as President of the Council of State and of
the Council of Ministers, and as First Secretary of the Communist
Party, and as Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, are now to be
provisionally -- that was the word used - assigned to Raul Castro,
as specified in the Cuban constitution.

Plans for Fidel's birthday party on August 13, are being put off
until December, the anniversary of the Granma landing in 1956.

Responsibilities for the upcoming meeting of the Non Aligned Move-
ment will be given full priority as necessary.

A range of other important assignments are being assigned, also on
a provisional basis, to various other members of the leadership in
Cuba. These were named and I wasn't able to catch them all when the
statement was read. It was re-read once the evening newscast was
concluded. It will be in all the Cuban newspapers tomorrow, and will
be posted to the appropriate websites soon.

Naturally, people here in Cuba are concerned about the health of the
main leader of the Cuban Revolution. As soon as additional information
is available, it will be passed along.

Walter Lippmann
Havana, Cuba
jULY 31, 2006