[Marxism] Re Reading Capital

Alex Briscoe obeynow20001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 08:18:45 MDT 2006

I thought this would be more common knowledge, but
there are a couple of books out there on how to read
Capital.

It's been such a while since I thought about this,
that I've forgotten the author of the original How
To... book, but I believe it's Anthony Brewer.

Just went to amazon.com:

check out,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521276764/sr=1-4/qid=1150725882/ref=sr_1_4/102-5087222-5008927?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

_A Guide To Marx' Capital_ by Anthony Brewer.

I believe I've skimmed it 15 years ago, and as I
remember it says (actually Marx said in a letter to a
relative), skip the first part, it was never meant to
be read by the layman as the beginning and go to Chap
11, the more empirical/historical stuff which then
integrates into the theoretical.

You do that and it's a good read, from the 21st cent
perspective.  It reads more like a book from
Ehrenreich and Mandel with the language rising to the
level of a Voltaire.

Also, newer, and autonomist oriented, which I would
read with that knowledge in mind:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1902593294/sr=1-2/qid=1150726305/ref=sr_1_2/102-5087222-5008927?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

_Reading Capital Politically_ by Harry Cleaver

Also:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1859841643/sr=1-1/qid=1150726305/ref=sr_1_1/102-5087222-5008927?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

Verso classic, _Reading Capital_ by Althusser et al

Also:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0853451877/sr=1-18/qid=1150726547/ref=sr_1_18/102-5087222-5008927?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

_The Formation of The Economic Thought of Karl Marx_
by Ernest Mandel

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0850360730/sr=1-12/qid=1150726527/ref=sr_1_12/102-5087222-5008927?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

_Marxist Economic Theory_ by E Mandel