[Marxism] CREATING A CARING ECONOMY - NORA CASTAÑEDA AND THE WOMEN'S DEVELOPMENT BANK

DoC donaloc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 1 04:19:16 MST 2006

CREATING A CARING ECONOMY - NORA CASTAÑEDA AND THE WOMEN'S DEVELOPMENT
BANK

OF VENEZUELA

WOMEN - THE STARTING POINT OF REVOLUTION IN VENEZUELA

President Chávez has said: 'To abolish poverty we must give power to the

poor.' Women, who are 70% of the poor, have made themselves the starting

point of change.

The extraordinary Women's Development Bank (Banmujer) is part of the
process

of revolutionizing Venezuela's economy: promoting grassroots
self-activity

backed by the oil revenue.

Its president, Nora Castañeda, describes how Banmujer is providing a

path-breaking framework for building a movement which is 'creating an

economy at the service of human beings.'

She also describes what it was like during the reversal of the 2002

US-backed coup. 'Grassroots women had gained so much with the revolution

that to lose it would have been unbearable. The coup was like the loss
of a

precious loved one: we were in mourning but ready to fight.'

NORA CASTAÑEDA: ROOTS AND REVOLUTION

Castañeda is an economist - with a difference. Dedicated to grassroots

women, to anti-racism and to Marx, she has been in the movement all her

life.

Castañeda is an advocate of Article 88 of the Bolivarian constitution
which

recognizes housework as an economic activity that produces wealth and

welfare: 'the most important work humanity does.'

As Selma James says in her Introduction: 'Those of us immersed in the

movement need to know how they're doing it in Venezuela so we can learn
from

them what we have to do wherever we are. She is a fantastic spokeswoman
for

the revolution and for women everywhere.'

Order online: www.allwomencount.net/Publications/Forsalepage.htm

Prices: $10 + $2 postage; £4.50 + 50p postage in the UK or £1.20 other

countries; €8 + €1.50 postage; 1/3 discount for 6+ copies.

Order by post (please print this form): Please send me __ copies of
Creating

a Caring Economy. I enclose £___ I would also like to donate £___
towards

the promotion of the book

Address:

_____

Cheques to: Crossroads Books P.O. Box 287, London NW6 5QU, England Tel:

020-7482 2496; Fax: 020-7209-4761 Email: womenstrike8m at server101.com