[Marxism] Indians attack cowboy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 1 07:39:06 MST 2006

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/02/28/bush.india/index.html
Thousands protest Bush in India

(CNN) -- Thousands of Indians chanted anti-U.S. slogans, waved signs and
burned American flags in New Delhi to protest President George W. Bush's
first trip to the nation.

The demonstrations came in advance of a five-day South Asian visit by Bush,
where he is hoping to sign a critical nuclear accord with New Delhi, a move
which is raising political hackles in both nations.

Bush arrives in the world's largest democracy later Wednesday, under tight
security.

On his trip the U.S. leader is also trying to boost security and economic
ties with India, and try to soothe tensions between India and neighboring
Pakistan, also a nation with a nuclear capability.

Pakistan is a key U.S. ally in the war on terror, but many in Washington
want to see Islamabad make stronger efforts to dismantle terrorist training
camps on its soil.

Under the proposed nuclear deal between New Delhi and Washington, the
United States would supply nuclear technology and fuel desperately needed
by India to fuel its booming but energy-starved economy.

Speaking with the Indian television network Doordarshan, Bush acknowledged
the nuclear issue is a tough one for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"Both of us have to convince our respective people in the interest of
having a civilian nuclear program that's separate from a military nuclear
program," Bush said.

"In India, I understand the politics is going to be difficult. There is
still a lot of work to be done, and we just need to continue to come up
with an agreement that both of us can live with."

Bush added, "We will keep trying."

India has pledged in return to separate its military and civilian nuclear
programs and open up the civilian ones to international inspection.

But some members of the U.S. Congress, who must approve the deal, believe
this deal will undermine the international Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty,
which India has refused to sign.

On the other side, some Indian scientists and nuclear industry supporters
say the pact will erode their nation's military ambitions.

Singh is eager to ease these fears.

"There has been no erosion of the integrity of our nuclear doctrine either
in terms of current or future capabilities," Singh said recently.

Despite the potential political fallout, there is a lot to gain for both
sides from such a deal going ahead, analysts have said.

"The essence of this strategic partnership is to provide a countervailing
influence to China ... to act as a restraint on the exercise of Chinese
power," security analyst Brahma Chellaney told CNN.

There is an economic incentive for Washington, as well. A more buoyant
Indian economy fueled by U.S. civilian nuclear technology could be good
news for U.S. manufacturers eager to sell into India's booming marketplace.
'Down to the wire'

Given weeks of hectic discussions between U.S. and Indian diplomats and the
huge stakes involved for both countries, Bush is warning negotiations on a
final nuclear deal will go down to the wire.

`This is not an easy decision for India nor is it an easy decision for the
United States, and implementing this agreement will take time and it will
take patience from both our countries," Bush said in an interview.

Speaking on Air Force One while traveling to India, U.S. Secretary of State
Condoleezza Rice said some sticking points for the deal remained.

"The one thing that is absolutely necessary is that any agreement would
assure that once India has decided to put a reactor under safeguard that it
remain permanently under safeguard," she said in a report from The
Associated Press.

That would prevent India from transferring a reactor from civilian to
military status and exempting it from international inspections.

Rice said she was uncertain whether there would be an agreement during
Bush's trip but said the success or failure of his visit would not be
determined by that.

"We're still working on it," she said. "Obviously it would be an important
breakthrough" for the United States and India.

--

www.marxmail.org