[Marxism] Labor’s Militant Voice Statement on Delphi

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 1 10:06:59 MST 2006

Labor’s Militant Voice Statement on Delphi

The Employers Can Be Stopped Starting With Delphi
(but not without returning to the methods of the thirties...)

These are the methods we used to build our Unions and win the gains we have
had ever since:

"Several thousand strikers marched to Chevrolet plant No. 9 from Union
headquarters. They were led by Roy Reuther and Powers Hapgood. GM
informers, as had been expected, had tipped off management about the march
on # 9. Armed Flint detectives and company guards had been installed in the
plant. The workers inside began yelling "sit-down!" and a forty-minute
battle was waged inside the plant. The Women's Emergency Brigade, organized
and led by Genora Johnson (now Dollinger), fought heroically on the
outside, smashing the windows to permit the tear gas to escape from the
plant." (Art Preis: Labor’s Giant Step)

Compare the description above to the response of the UAW today:

“
we assure you that we will vigorously use our experience, expertise and
resources to do everything we possibly can to protect the interests of
UAW-Delphi active workers and retirees throughout this difficult
situation

In addition, in anticipation of Delphi’s filing, we retained
Cohen, Weiss and Simon LLP, a New York law firm that has represented the
UAW and other unions in most of the major corporate bankruptcies in recent
years..”

In other words, mass action and power of the workers in the 1930’s compared
to getting advice from some law firm today. We must go back to the methods
that produced results, that won us what we have today.

full: http://www.soldiersofsolidarity.com/id240.html

--

www.marxmail.org