[Marxism] German Left Unity Endangered

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Thu Mar 2 11:55:15 MST 2006

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:17:10 +1100, Ben Courtice wrote:

   I'm not Nobby, and I have neither anything to do with this CWI nor am
I a member of Linkspartei.PDS or WASG, but I venture to make some
comments:

> For all the faults/sellouts of the PDS, isn't the WASG
> also headed up by Lafontaine, who was previously in the
> Social-Democrat leadership and government?
> So what's so principled about working with one
> but not the other?
>
> Or am I missing something?

  You are missing that Oskar Lafontaine is only there because he saw the
chance to get into the parliament when PDS and WASG would team together
for the elections which prime minister Schröder announced on May 22,
2005, after the defeat of the SPD in the Northrhine-Westfalia elections.

  His initiative was certainly a very cute move, and showed Lafontaine's
political capacity. But Lafontaine joined WASG only after that, and it
took him some time to get out of the SPD and into the WASG. I think he
only joined the WASG after it was sure that they would put him on the
top of the list in Northrhine-Westfalia, the biggest federal state by
population.

  All those leftist parties like SAV meddled in the WASG long before
Lafontaine joined.

  I think the WASG will lose a lot of people on its left fringe, and
many of the will be demoralized after the chance for a "real" left party
is gone by the WASG being swallowed into a reformist formation.

  In Berlin especially, one cannot fight against cutbacks on the one
hand and go with the PDS into the continuation of the coalition
government with the SPD with the other.

  A rest-WASG which consists mainly of the various leftists sects doing
a kind of entrism very sui generis, will explode quite quickly, I
presume.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany