[Marxism] US Left and Cartoon Crisis

Mehmet Cagatay mehmetcagatayaydin at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 15:31:44 MST 2006

In his article Mahmood wrotes:

"The bourgeoisie in the Islamic-stricken countries, with the help of the
US and the west, have chosen to take Islam as their guiding ideology to
fight communism, freedom, equality, and any trace of human decency in
order to consolidate their capitalist and exploitative system."

MC: I am agree with your comments above, but I am disapproving of your
constant emphasize on Mohammed's wedlock with a nine years of girl which
is a historical fact but far from assisting to convert the alleged "false
consciousness" of Muslims to the self-consciousness of human. In my
paradigm, similar assults from militan ateists that I witnessed in the
days of my youth only helped to regenerate the religious apparition which
was slumbering under my admiration for Western Culture. But when I have
began to read holy texts within the context of their material conditions,
for instance Quran has lost all of its mystical magic and became a simple
text about the daily life of Arabian society of the 7th century. I think
we Marxists should base our critics on the connection between the holy
texts and the "real individuals, their activity and the material
conditions under which they live". I think direct attacks pointed at the
beliefs of ordinary religious men cause us to earn nothing than more
furious foes. I am somewhat understanding your irritation that you are a
communist from a country in which humanity is downtrodden by politics in
the guise of religion. But you should give credit for our western comrades
of the list who are living in where humanity is downtrodden by a sort of
religion in the guise politics.

Best Wishes,

Mehmet Çagatay
http://weblogmca.blogspot.com/