[Marxism] The US-India 'partnership' swindle

John Enyang x03002f at math.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Fri Mar 3 18:27:32 MST 2006

The December 2005 edition of "Aspects of India's Economy" has a detailed
examination of the touted 'global partnership' between India and the
United States. Brief extract and full link below.

India's Place in the US Strategic Order

    The US and India have entered a new era.
    -- Opening words of the "New Framework for the US-India Defense
Relationship", June 28, 2005.

Three years ago, in explaining why our journal, which is devoted to
analysing the Indian economy, was producing a special issue on the
invasion of Iraq, we wrote: "India has become an important part of the US
strategic order. That order is now focussed on seizing Iraq and some other
states in West Asia; tomorrow it will shift its focus to [the rest of]
Asia, which it sees as a region of increasing strategic importance."

In Asia, we argued, one of the US's principal targets was China: "The
integration of India into US military targeting of China will increase the
risk of war for the Indian people.... The Indian public, however, is
unaware that it is being thrust into this dangerous strategic chess-game
by its rulers." Thus, we explained, our special issue was about
"the current US strategic agenda and its implications for the rest of
the world. As the Indian rulers have placed India within that US agenda,
it is necessary for us to understand its implications in depth." (Behind
the Invasion of Iraq, Aspects no.s 33 & 34)

Developments have rapidly borne out this analysis. No doubt, the then
Vajpayee government was defeated in the May 2004 elections, and was
replaced by a Congress-led United Progressive Alliance, backed by the CPI,
CPI(M) and other parties. No doubt the Common Minimum Programme of the UPA
made vague noises about pursuing "an independent foreign policy keeping in
mind past traditions", maintaining "the independence of India's
foreign policy position on all regional and global issues", opposing "all
attempts at unilateralism", and so on.

For a year after the UPA assumed office, this pretence was kept up to some
degree. Progress was made on talks with China on the border question and
other issues; Manmohan Singh declared that relations with Russia have
"never looked better" and claimed he saw "immense possibilities" in the
"strategic triangle" of India, Russia and China; the petroleum minister
negotiated for a pipeline to carry natural gas from Iran to India, in the
face of blunt warnings by US officials; and no public commitments were
made on certain pending deals with the United States, such as on the
missile defence system and the Proliferation Security Initiative
(described elsewhere in this issue).

Then, in rapid succession, three developments occurred; none preceded by
any public discussion. On June 28, 2005 the Indian defence minister signed
the "New Framework of Defence Relations" with the US. On July 18, 2005,
the Indian Prime Minister issued a Joint Statement with the US President
on a wide range of issues, including India's nuclear programme. And
on September 24, 2005, India voted against Iran in the meeting of the
Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Authority (IAEA). Of
course, these were not three independent developments: they were
expressions of a single development.

US domination over India's foreign policy has never been more starkly
apparent. Former external affairs minister, Yashwant Sinha, who himself
presided over unprecedented growth of US influence and control, now terms
India a "client state of America". That term has long been applied to
Pakistan; yet even Pakistan abstained on September 24 from voting for the
US's resolution in the IAEA.

In the following we address four questions: What sort of "global power" is
India? What impelled the Indian government to take the three steps
mentioned above? What is the global context in which these steps have been
taken? What are the implications of these steps for the Indian people?

Full: <http://www.rupe-india.org/41/order.html>