[Marxism] US Left and Cartoon Crisis

Aaron listsubs at aarons.fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 3 19:42:41 MST 2006

I tried to post this a few hours ago but it appears not to have gotten through, nor did I receive any error or rejection message. I'm repositing it as plain text -- leaving in only the URL and the start of the article -- to see if the list accepts it that way. If it is being screened by a moderator, maybe that person (Louis Proyect ?) will let me know what the proper procedure is.

 - Aaron

>Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:53:29 -0800
>To: <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>From: Aaron <listsubs at aarons.fastmail.fm>
>Subject: Re: [Marxism] US Left and Cartoon Crisis
>
>None of the other posts I've seen in this thread mention the Zionist/neocon elephant in the room. While I think Petras somewhat overstates the extent of Zionist influence over U.S. policy toward Arabs and Muslims -- and seems to imply that the U.S. might not be so bad without that influence -- his exposure of their role in this provocation is important.
>
>Since this mailing list seems to be averse to formatted text, it's probably best to click on the URL and ignore the text reprinted below it.
>
> - Aaron
>
><http://www.rebelion.org/noticia.php?id=27388>
>26-02-2006
>The Caricatures in Middle East Politics
>
>James Petras and Robin Eastman-Abaya
>
> The center piece of the current explosive confrontation between Islamic and Arab protestors, political leaders and governments and the US and Western European regimes and publishers is rooted in Israeli efforts to polarize the world in its favor and to promote isolation, economic sanctions and/or a military attack on Iran. There are several key questions, which almost all commentators and analysts have failed to address. These include:
>
>Why did the "cartoons" get published in Denmark?
>What is the political background of "Flemming Rose" the cultural editor of Jyllands-Posten, who solicited, selected and published the cartoons?
>What larger issues coincide with the timing of the cartoons publication and reproduction?
>Who "benefits" from the publication of the cartoons and the ensuing confrontation between the Arabs/Islam and the West?
>What is the contemporary political context of the Arab/Islam protests?
>How is the Israeli secret service, Mossad, implicated in provoking the Western-Islamic/Arab conflict, and how do the consequences measure up to their expectations?

[SNIP]