[Marxism] A Carletonian and Berkeleyian in India

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Sat Mar 4 09:23:03 MST 2006

Gail M. Omvedt

Writer, Research, and Activist

I was born in Minneapolis, went to Carleton College, and came out to
Berkeley only after my first year in India, in 1963-64, returning to
India in 1970-71 to do my Ph. D. dissertation and then to finally
“settle” there in 1978.

So I have taken something of the “great years” of the 60s from
Berkeley to India and vice versa!

When trying to combine living in India and teaching at San Diego
didn’t work, I quit and went to India. I had married into a middle
caste (“Bahujan”) “rich peasant” farming family in western India and
have “settled” in the large “village” of Kasegaon (my daughter calls
it a “town” in her poems but by Indian definition it’s a village) in
southern Maharashtra, with Bharat and other members of an Indian
joint family.

I’ve been an Indian citizen since 1983. The social movements I’ve
been involved with included the Dalit and anti-caste movements,
environmental movements, farmers’ and women’s movements, but at
present I’m most active in the anti-caste movement.

To tell the truth, I am a kind of “mother figure” (along with one
other American, Eleanor Zelliot) to many Dalits. One way of putting
the problems people of my category has been expressed by one Indian
friend: “I don’t have an address.”

I’ve had a variety of occupations, which might be described as
“upscale unorganized sector” jobs. Most recent is a three-year
position as Senior Fellow at Teen Murti in Delhi (a prestigious place
and it has the advantage that I don’t have to be there very much of
the time but with no computer facilities [??[).

My most important books include, most recently a forthcoming really
wild book that falls in between “activist journalism” and “expert
scholarship.” “Buddhism in India; Challenge to Brahmanism and Caste.”

I’m also getting into translation from Marathi: “Growing Up
Untouchable: A Dalit Autobiography.” You can use it for all kinds of
introductory courses!

Dissertation: Cultural Revolt in a Colonial Society: The NonBrahman
Movement in Western India, 1873-1930

Biography submitted on: 2002-10-14 10:14:02