[Marxism] Re: the SWP and the turn

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sat Mar 4 09:16:37 MST 2006

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:11:16 -0500, Fred Feldman wrote:

> Of course, the Cuban rebel army did these things
> as a matter of course, as Lueko points out,

  it struck me in the moment when I read Joaquin's remark -- I think it
was even explained in one of the prefaces by Mary-Alice Waters to those
Pathfinder Press publications recounting the early guerilla experience
of the Cuban revolution, that this is explained as the model of party
building. Iron discipline and a lot of suffering during the walk thru
the wilderness, forming and hardening the initial cadre, before it would
recruit masses.

> but they had the perspective of winning power in a
> reasonably short time.

   A political party exists only to exercise political power (state
power) in the interests of the social class it represents, and this main
task should shape its organisational form(s). For a revolutionary party,
exercising political power means formost to take the power out of the
hands of the current ruling class into its own hands, and to prepare for
that.

   But there is a huge variety of relationships between a political
party and its possibilities for exercise such state power, which should
give rise to a large variety of organisational forms for said party.
There is not one size fits all, and a one and only organizational form
for each and every situation.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany