[Marxism] Did Cannon have a "liquidationist" position on theBlack question in the U.S.?

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 10:55:55 MST 2006

Although I still believe Joaquin is reading Cannon
incorrectly, it is possible that Cannon bent the stick
too far in his estimate of which direction the Black
movement was tending. And if this is so one can hardly
blame him -- for the decades we are talking about are
precisely those when the CIO was at its peak and
radical elements within it most prominent. This meant
that it often seemed the Black struggle would largely
overlap -- while still having an independent dynamic
-- with the multinational working class struggle,
especially as many CIO unions (i.e. the ones led by
the CP) were taking SPECIAL organizing steps around
Black workers including in the community. A couple
months ago I posted a query to this list about one
such effort, I'll try to dig it up. (This is not, of
course, to deny that as the CP's line twisted in the
wind they abandoned such efforts when it offended
Stalin and Roosevelt/Truman.)
In Joaquin's post today there is nothing about this,
no sense of how the evolving class struggle impacted
Blacks' conception of self-determination.
Now, having said that, I want to strongly endorse what
Joaquin said about the role of genocidal repression in
forcing nationalist sentiment underground , and the
heroic and praiseworthy role of those who upheld the
right of self-determination, including separation, in
the face of such repression -- even if we think they
may have been tactically off sometimes in the weight
given to the Black Belt slogan in their agitation or
propaganda.