[Marxism] Al-Jazeera on Islamophobia

Louis R Godena louisgodena at ids.net
Sat Mar 4 17:16:56 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paddy Apling" <e.c.apling at btinternet.com>

> At 16:08 04/03/2006, Louis Godena  wrote:
>>>Soumaya Ghannoushi is a researcher in the history of ideas at the School
>>>of Oriental & African Studies, University of London.
>>
>>She is also a badly informed historian.
>

> Explain please

Well, I included a link to another of her articles:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/25D45C98-471B-4A36-8253-F2120BEA180F.htm
Here's a sample:

The absurd, random mass carnage of young and old, male and female is its
trademark. Residential buildings, tourist resorts, rush hour trains and
crowded buses turn into grand spectacles of mass murder where no heed is
paid to the victim's identity and the extent of his/her responsibility for
the policies of a country defined as the enemy. The boundaries between the
world of politics and that of organised crime are blurred, as political
demands get wedded to criminal methods.

Al-Qaida, it must be said, is no pioneer in this field. For although it
founds its ideology on religious references and speaks a language
overwhelmed by religious symbols, al-Qaida falls largely within the modern
tradition of revolutionary anarchists - from the Jacobins and the Bolsheviks
down to latter-day Marxist guerrillas like the Baadr-Meinhoff Gang.

Destruction as a passion

Like these modern revolutionary nihilists, al-Qaida warriors subscribe to an
instrumentalist logic that recognises no distinction between the legitimate
and illegitimate, thereby sanctioning acts of terror for the attainment of
their ends. Like them, they are more interested in the act of destruction
than its effects. As the father of Russian anarchism Mikhail Bakunin put it,
'the passion for destruction is also a creative passion'.

Linking the Bolshevism of Lenin or even the anarchism of Bakunin with
Al-Qaida or Baadr- Meinhoff is simply too foolish to waste powder and shot
on.   Even the most deluded scribbler of the
"Islam-is-a-peace-loving-non-violent-faith-like-Christianity" canard has
never produced anything that sinks to the level of this drivel.

Louis Godena