[Marxism] Re: I'm not convinced (important addition to my comments on Black nation issue

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 5 08:37:53 MST 2006

We also have to grasp that Black national consciousness and nationalism
(which are not the same thing),
Blacks' sense of being a people with a common destiny arose out of
RESISTANCE to forms of oppression that were not distinctively
national.BLACKS HAVE NOT BECOME A NATION SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY SUFFERED A
COMMON OPPRESSION BUT BECAUSE THEY FOUGHT. THE SENSE OF THEMSELVES AS A
PEOPLE WITH A COMMON DESTINY IS NOT SIMPLY AN EXPRESSION OF THEIR
OPPRESSION, BUT A CONQUEST WON IN DECADES AND EVEN CENTURIES OF
RESISTANCE TO THIS OPPRESSION, AND IS VERY STRONG EVEN AMONG PEOPLE WHO
DO NOT CONSIDER THEMSELVES TO BE IDEOLOGICAL NATIONALISTS. The national
question, as Joaquin has pointed out, is not just a nationalist
question.