[Marxism] At AIPAC meet, Bolton warns Iran of "painful consequences" of not towing line on nukes

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Mar 5 17:35:14 MST 2006

<http://c.msn.com/c.gif?NC=1255&NA=1154&PS=73838&PI=7329&DI=305&TP=http%
3a%2f%2fmsnbc.msn.com%2f>   Note should be taken that Bolton's threats
to Iran are described as being given to "a convention of
Jewish-Americans."   In fact, it was given to a convention of the
America-Israel Politcal Action Committee, a lobby dedicated to rallying
support for
Bush administration and Israeli foreign policies.

  This is actually an anti-Semitic canard, since it identifies all Jews
with support  to Israeli anti=Palestinian expansionism, a position
probably held by only a large minority of US Jews, and support to the
Bush administration's war policy, a position definitely held by only a
minority of US Jews.

  Coverage like this forms, intentionally or not, part of the process of
positioning Jews to be the scapegoats for the failure of US war policy
in the Middle East ). IF it fails which I consider the most likely
outcome. The Jews have been positioned to be scapegoats, partly through
the acts of their own leaders, more effectively than at any time since
the alleged Jewish role in the  alleged crucifixion of Christ.
Fred Feldman
  <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/images/MSNBC/msnbc_ban.gif>   MSNBC.com

Bolton warns Iran of 'painful consequences'
U.N. ambassador says U.S. has upped measures to stave off nuclear threat

Reuters <http://www.reuters.com/>
Updated: 3:40 p.m. ET March 5, 2006

WASHINGTON - Iran faces "tangible and painful consequences" if it
continues its nuclear activities and the United States will use "all
tools at our disposal" to stop this threat, a senior U.S. official said
Sunday, ahead of a crucial international meeting on Iran.

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton, speaking at a
convention of Jewish-Americans, said it is too soon for the U.N.
Security Council to impose sanctions on Iran but other countries are
talking about doing so and Washington is "beefing up defensive measures
to cope with the Iranian nuclear threat."

Monday's meeting of the 35-nation International Atomic Energy Agency
governing board is expected to take stock of Iran's continued defiance
of U.S. and European demands to end sensitive weapons-related uranium
enrichment activity and then hand the case over to the security council.

Security council concerns
Iran Sunday again threatened to begin large-scale
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11681845/> nuclear enrichment if the case
is taken up by the security council.

"The longer we wait to confront the threat Iran poses, the harder and
more intractable it will become to solve," Bolton warned.

"The Iran regime must be made aware that if it continues down the path
of international isolation, there will be tangible and painful
consequences," he told 4,500 delegates to the annual convention of the
American-Israel Public Affairs Committee, the leading pro-Israel U.S.
lobbying group.

He said Iran poses a "comprehensive threat" as a state sponsor of
terrorism as well as a nuclear aspirant and so "we must be prepared to
rely on comprehensive solutions and use all the tools at our disposal to
stop the threat that the Iranian regime poses."

The United States has had sweeping sanctions on Iran since after the
1979 Iranian revolution but is looking at ways to further use its
Proliferation Security Initiative to deny Iran materials it needs for
its nuclear program, he said.

Bolton reaffirmed that the United States does not see the security
council moving quickly to impose sanctions on Iran, but he pointedly
noted that "many other governments have begun to include the word
sanctions in their discourse on Iran," implying they may take action
outside the security council.

Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the
prior written consent of Reuters.

<http://c.msn.com/c.gif?NC=1255&NA=1154&PS=69724&PI=7329&DI=305&TP=http%
3a%2f%2fmsnbc.msn.com%2fid%2f11684031%2f>

C 2006 MSNBC.com

ac
[...]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11684031/SS

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=5261
2&partner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!