[Marxism] Intellectuals of the Hall of Shame

Mehmet Cagatay mehmetcagatayaydin at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 07:16:09 MST 2006

Today, I came upon a Manifesto written by 12 apostle of Democracy, which
is summoning holy war in the ideological field through the weapons of
Enlightenment against the anti-Christ of the modern world: Islamism. They
urge us that to protect our UNIVERSAL values from the Islamist
totalitarianism. One should ask: How could you confront the universal
without having some universal claims? They say, "We plead for the
universality of freedom of expression". We Marxists should reply, "We are
pleading for the universality of right of exercising the freedom of
expression by people who are producing the tools of communication". They
say, "Its success can only lead to a world of domination: man's domination
of woman, the Islamists' domination of all the others". We reply, "All you
understand from emancipation is to confront one form of domination with
the other".
------------------------------

MANIFESTO: Together Facing the New Totalitarianism

12 signatures • First published in Morgenavisen Jyllands Posten, 28
February 2006

After having overcome fascism, Nazism, and Stalinism, the world now faces
a new totalitarian global threat: Islamism.

We, writers, journalists, intellectuals, call for resistance to religious
totalitarianism and for the promotion of freedom, equal opportunity and
secular values for all.

The recent events, which occurred after the publication of drawings of
Muhammed in European newspapers, have revealed the necessity of the
struggle for these universal values. This struggle will not be won by
arms, but in the ideological field. It is not a clash of civilisations nor
an antagonism of West and East that we are witnessing, but a global
struggle that confronts democrats and theocrats.

Like all totalitarianisms, Islamism is nurtured by fears and frustrations.
The hate preachers bet on these feelings in order to form battalions
destined to impose a liberticidal and unegalitarian world. But we clearly
and firmly state: nothing, not even despair, justifies the choice of
obscurantism, totalitarianism and hatred. Islamism is a reactionary
ideology which kills equality, freedom and secularism wherever it is
present. Its success can only lead to a world of domination: man's
domination of woman, the Islamists' domination of all the others. To
counter this, we must assure universal rights to oppressed or
discriminated people.

We reject « cultural relativism », which consists in accepting that men
and women of Muslim culture should be deprived of the right to equality,
freedom and secular values in the name of respect for cultures and
traditions. We refuse to renounce our critical spirit out of fear of being
accused of "Islamophobia", an unfortunate concept which confuses criticism
of Islam as a religion with stigmatisation of its believers.

We plead for the universality of freedom of expression, so that a critical
spirit may be exercised on all continents, against all abuses and all
dogmas.

We appeal to democrats and free spirits of all countries that our century
should be one of Enlightenment, not of obscurantism.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Chahla Chafiq
Caroline Fourest
Bernard-Henri Lévy