[Marxism] re. a Cubalist posting on Ethanol in Brazil

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Wed Mar 15 16:43:45 MST 2006

Below is the Cubalist posting and my addition. I realise that the
Cubalist overlaps with this list, but I want to put this out if only to
lower my blood pressure. Walter's note simply points in the wrong direction.
          --rod
=====
What is the point of putting this without comment on the Cuba list or
any other list? Ethanol production in Brazil is just as destructive as
ethanol production in the US, or as it would be in Cuba.

First: In Brazil the ethanol producers steal the land from the
indigenous peoples that have worked it. There is no "undeveloped land"
in Brazil; it has long since been developed by nature and by the people
who have lived there. Do you see "undeveloped land" in the North
American arctic, along the Appalachian Trail, the Grand Canyon, the
Rocky Mountains?

Second: the sugar barons not only rob the peasantry, they rob the
greater populace (the working class) through the state subsidies which
support them for the sole purpose of gaining foreign exchange and huge
profits. There is no significant capital investment in the
sugarcane/ethanol business.

Third: The manufacture of ethanol is inherently wasteful of energy, and
in the sugarcane example, the cellulose and starches are burned
(releasing CO2) in the distilling stage. In the sugar fermentation
stage, as much carbon is released into the air by the fermentation yeast
as is incorporated in the resulting ethanol. For heaven's sake, read
"The Thermodynamics of the Corn Ethanol Biofuel Cycle" by Tad W. Patzek
which is available on line. His analysis is not limited to corn (a more
favorable cycle than the sugar route since there exist enzymes which
rapidly and efficiently convert starches to sugars), but can be extended
to other cycles (including those which use semi-permiable membranes
instead of distillation).

Fourth: Sugarcane Plantations -- like any monoculture -- exhausts the
soil, and unless agricultural byproducts are recycled into the soil and
minerals replaced, the intensive cultivation of sugar cane will haunt
those who later try to grow food for people. The sugar-ethanol barons of
Brazil do not recycle anything. They burn the land to clear it, and they
burn everything else to distill the ethanol.
    -----rod