[Marxism] Partisanship and Objectivity in Theoretical Work

Austin, Andrew austina at uwgb.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:01:20 MST 2006

Charles, My problem with this line of thinking is that it systematically
confuses objectivity with neutrality.  One can take sides and be
objective.  Neutrality, in contrast, is ideology.  Instead of yielding
objectivity, neutrality hides distortions of knowledge.  The ideologue
distorts theory to bring about or deny a process or outcome.  The
scientist employs theory for many purposes, but does so in an objective
fashion.  Too many so-called scientists are of course ideologues.  But
that is not what science should be (and ought concerns do not make one
an ideologue).  I don't believe that the meaning of the term ideology
has changed among Marxists.  Putting all this another way, if one means
by ideology "interested knowledge" then I understand the argument, but
believe that is to misuse the term ideology, at least as I understand
Marxists to use it.  I consider myself to be a partisan and a scientist.
I do not consider myself to be an ideologue.  Nor do I consider my work
to be ideological.  Others may disagree, of course.  Andrew