[Marxism] Why Chicago?

Alex Briscoe obeynow20001 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 14:01:05 MST 2006

I think Carroll has the right idea generally re the
peace march, but I would qualify by saying that
immigrants had an influence but were not in the top
ranks of marchers.

Walking through the march last night, I encountered a
group of Puerto Ricans (30 to 50), Philipinos (10),
Arabs (here and there, maybe 30 to 40), a few
Iranians, Mexicans and other Latinos (wasn't paying
close attention- maybe more- 50 to 100?).  Most of the
others were white with one out of  100? Black.

Re the immigrant march, as I've heard, it started off
with one Latino staffer of an SEIU Local trying to do
something re the Sensenbrenner bill, he contacted
other Latino orgs, then it exploded.  Interestingly,
one account I read in Redeye (20, 30 something
directly tabloid of Tribune) said that things really
got big when a Mex radio dj who is kind of a Howard
Stern character got involved.

Also, I'm kind of pissed that SEIUers here that we
have contact with did jack shit to let Greens know so
that we could have passed out state slate pamphlets to
the crowd.  I doubt the Dems dominating the event
would've allowed one of our candidates up there to
speak, as it was pimping time for Blago and Daley, but
it would have been good to have been able to ask....

***************************
***************************

Telephone: (773) 572-6192

http://www.gp.org/katrina2005/