[Marxism] Movie: Lelaki Komunis Terakhir (The Last Communist), Malaysia

Muammar Kris Khaira kris at kriskhaira.com
Mon Mar 20 06:06:01 MST 2006

Lelaki Komunis Terakhir (The Last Communist), Malaysia
http://lastcommunist.blogspot.com/

"A semi-musical documentary road movie inspired by the places and
events in the early life of Chin Peng, Secretary General of the
outlawed Communist Party of Malaya. This blog commences right after
the movie has been fully completed."

Lelaki Komunis Terakhir is a movie about the life of Chin Peng,
leader of the Malayan Communist Party (MCP). Chin Peng is currently
in exile in Thailand and is fighting a legal battle with the
Malaysian government over a permit to let him return to Malaysia.

The fact that this movie has passed the Malaysian Film Censorship
Board without cuts and is due to screen in Malaysia in May is a huge
surprise.

International screenings:
- The Seattle International Film Festival
- Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival
- Singapore International Film Festival
- Hong Kong International Film Festival

More about Chin Peng:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin_Peng
http://www.aliran.com/monthly/2003a/9e.html
http://www.mggpillai.com/article.php3?sid=2080

More about MCP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayan_Communist_Party

---

"I had indicated my wish to be allowed to visit my hometown so that I
could pay homage to the graves of my grandfather, parents and my
brothers in the Chinese cemetery, halfway between Sitiawan and Lumut
(in Malaysia). This duty is still uppermost in my mind…

It is ironic that I should be without the country for which I was
more than willing to die"
- Chin Peng