[Marxism] Partisanship and Objectivity in Theoretical Work: Politics and natural science

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Mar 20 06:16:04 MST 2006

I suppose when Cornforth says one is partisan in considering the social use
of physics, he generally encompasses the issue of physicists resisting
contributing anything further to the bougeois pollution of our species
environment with weapons of mass destruction.

Charles

^^^^
"Turning to natural sciences, we then find that one is not partisan on
physics, say, in investigating elementary particles and quantum-mechanical
interactions. But one is partisan in considering both the social use of
physics and the social organisation of physical research through the
management of scientific institutions. And physics as a science cannot
develop without partisanship in the organisation of research and of its
application." - M. Cornforth

^^^^^^
CB: I myself go further than Cornforth on this point of the relationship
between class struggle, working class partisanship and even natural
sciences, as I have said a number of times.

Given the history of physics in the twentieth century, and the role of the
most profound discovery in physics - relativity and E = MC squared - to the
bourgeois misuse of this genius idea to originate the most horrific weapons
in the history of humanity, natural scientists must take a step back and
consider politics before they discover something else that the bourgeoisie
will perversely engineer into some new form of mass destruction.

( I don't hold Einstein personally responsible for the misuse of his idea.
Einstein had very good social democratic politics, better than Kautsky, as
Einstein Germans warring in WWI, refusing to do physical and chemical work
for the war weapons, unlike all his fellow physicists. That his small error
resulted in such a big problem demonstrates a high level of precision in the
logic of politics)