[Marxism] Farrakhan visits Cuba, denounces US Katrina aid

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 21 06:09:52 MST 2006

(This is by no means Farrakhan's first visit to Cuba. In 1996,
for example: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43b/120.html)

Farrakhan visits Cuba, denounces US Katrina aid
21 Mar 2006 01:02:20 GMT

HAVANA, March 20 (Reuters) - Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan
is visiting communist Cuba to learn about disaster relief, a visit
prompted by the failure of the U.S. government to cope with Hurricane
Katrina, he said on Monday.

The controversial Nation of Islam leader, who is visiting Cuba for a
week, criticized Washington for refusing a Cuban offer to send
doctors after Katrina devastated New Orleans last August, flooding
neighborhoods mainly populated by blacks and the impoverished.

"After Hurricane Katrina and the failure of federal and state
government, we felt it was our duty to come to Cuba to learn disaster
management from the Cuban people who have had many hurricanes and
have not lost lives," he said.

Farrakhan, who led the Million Man March on the Washington Mall in
1995 to promote black self-reliance and responsibility, said he
intended to "spread the knowledge" among impoverished black, Hispanic
and Native American communities.

He met with young Americans studying medicine in Havana on Cuban
scholarships and encouraged them to go back to their communities to
deliver medical services needed by those who lack health insurance.

"This is a difficult road that you have chosen, but you must not give
up," he told some of the 74 Americans studying at Havana's Latin
American Medical School.

The United States broke off diplomatic relations with Cuba and
enforced an economic embargo after Fidel Castro's 1959 revolution.
The Bush administration stepped up sanctions in 2004 to undermine
what it calls an "outpost of tyranny."

Farrakhan said the U.S. State Department "represents the rich and the
powerful."

"We do not believe that Miss Condoleezza Rice, no matter how
beautiful she is, represents policies that represent the poor people
of our nation," he said.