[Marxism] Tan Malaka on Communism and Pan-Islamism

Richard Fidler rfidler at cyberus.ca
Thu Mar 23 10:40:20 MST 2006

Communism and Pan-Islamism

http://www.whatnextjournal.co.uk/Pages/Index/Authors.html

Intro: This is an extract from a speech made by the Indonesian
Marxist Tan Malaka at the Fourth Congress of the Communist
International in 1922. Taking issue with the theses drafted by
Lenin and adopted at the Second Congress, which had emphasised the
need for a "struggle against Pan-Islamism", Tan Malaka argued for
a more positive approach.

Tan Malaka (1897-1949) was elected chairman of the Communist Party
of Indonesia in 1921, but the following year he was forced to
leave the East Indies by the colonial authorities. After the
proclamation of independence in August 1945, he returned to
Indonesia to participate in the struggle against Dutch
colonialism. He became a leader of the Partai Murba (Proletarian
Party), formed in 1948 to organise working class opposition to the
Soekarno government. In February 1949 Tan Malaka was captured by
the Indonesian army and executed.

Remarks by Tan Malaka:

SHOULD WE support Pan-Islamism - yes or no? And if yes, how far
should we go?

Pan-Islamism is a long story. First of all I will speak about our
experiences in the East Indies where we have cooperated with the
Islamists. We have in Java a very large organisation with many
very poor peasants, the Sarekat Islam (Islamic League). Between
1912 and 1916 this organisation had one million members, perhaps
as many as three or four million. It was a very large popular
movement, which arose spontaneously and was very revolutionary.

Until 1921 we collaborated with it. Our party, consisting of
13,000 members, went into this popular movement and carried out
propaganda there. In 1921 we succeeded in getting Sarekat Islam to
adopt our programme. The Islamic League too agitated in the
villages for control of the factories and for the slogan: All
power to the poor peasants, all power to the proletarians! So
Sarekat Islam made the same propaganda as our Communist Party,
only sometimes under another name.

But in 1921 a split occurred as a result of clumsy criticism of
the leadership of Sarekat Islam. The government through its agents
in Sarekat Islam exploited this split, and it also exploited the
decision of the Second Congress of the Communist International:
Struggle against Pan-Islamism! What did they say to the simple
peasants? They said: See, the Communists not only want to split,
they want to destroy your religion! That was too much for a simple
Muslim peasant. The peasant thought to himself: I have lost
everything in this world, must I lose my heaven as well? That
won't do! This was how the simple Muslims thought. The
propagandists among the government agents exploited this very
successfully. So we had a split. [Chairman: Your time is up.]

I have come from the East Indies, and travelled for forty days.
[Applause.]

The Sarekat-Islamists believe in our propaganda and remain with us
in their stomachs, to use a popular expression, but in their
hearts they remain with the Sarekat Islam, with their heaven. For
heaven is something we cannot give them. Therefore, they boycotted
our meetings and we could not carry on propaganda any more.

Since the beginning of last year we have worked towards
re-establishing the link with Sarekat Islam. At our congress in
December last year we said that the Muslims in the Caucasus and
other countries, who cooperate with the Soviets and struggle
against international capitalism, understand their religion
better, and we also said that, if they want to make propaganda for
their religion, they can do so, though they should not do it in
meetings but in the mosques.

We have been asked at public meetings: Are you Muslims - yes or
no? Do you believe in God - yes or no? How did we answer this?
Yes, I said, when I stand before God I am a Muslim, but when I
stand before men I am not a Muslim [loud applause], because God
said there are many devils among men! [Loud applause.] Thus we
inflicted a defeat on their leaders with the Qur'an in our hands,
and at our congress last year we compelled the leaders of the
Sarekat Islam, through their own members, to cooperate with us.

When a general strike broke out in March last year, the Muslim
workers needed us, as we have the railwaymen under our leadership.
The Sarekat Islam leaders said: You want to cooperate with us, so
you must help us, too. Of course we went to them, and said: Yes,
your God is powerful, but he has said that on this earth the
railwaymen are more powerful! [Loud applause.] The railwaymen are
God's executive committee in this world. [Laughter.]

But this does not settle the question, and if we have another
split we may be sure that the government agents will be there
again with their Pan-Islamism. So the question of Pan-Islamism is
a very immediate one.

But now one must first understand what the word Pan-Islamism
really means. Once, it had a historical significance and meant
that Islam must conquer the whole world, sword in hand, and that
this must take place under the leadership of the Caliph, and the
Caliph must be of Arabian origin. About forty years after the
death of Mohammed the Muslims split into three great states and
thus the Holy War lost its significance for the entire Muslim
world. It thus lost the meaning that, in the name of God, the
Caliph and the Muslim religion should conquer the whole world,
because the Caliph of Spain said, I am the true Caliph, I must
carry the banner, and the Caliph of Egypt said the same, and the
Caliph of Baghdad said, I am the real Caliph, since I am from the
Arabian tribe of Quraish.

So Pan-Islamism no longer has its original meaning, but now has in
practice an entirely different meaning. Today, Pan-Islamism
signifies the national liberation struggle, because for the
Muslims Islam is everything: not only religion, but also the
state, the economy, food, and everything else. And so Pan-Islamism
now means the brotherhood of all Muslim peoples, and the
liberation struggle not only of the Arab but also of the Indian,
the Javanese and all the oppressed Muslim peoples. This
brotherhood means the practical liberation struggle not only
against Dutch but also against English, French and Italian
capitalism, therefore against world capitalism as a whole. That is
what Pan-Islamism now means in Indonesia among the oppressed
colonial peoples, according to their secret propaganda - the
liberation struggle against the different imperialist powers of
the world.

This is a new task for us. Just as we want to support the national
struggle, we also want to support the liberation struggle of the
very combative, very active 250 million Muslims living under the
imperialist powers. Therefore I ask once again: Should we support
Pan-Islamism, in this sense?