[Marxism] False claims re pro-war left

Peter Tatchell peter at tatchell.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 15:55:22 MST 2006

Hi
Doug Ireland has drawn my attention to the false claims that I am a "pro-war leftist". Nothing could be further from the truth. Where is your evidence for this claim?
I was one of the first public figures to back the anti-war movement in the UK. I have been on every anti-war protest (including last Saturday) and spoken out against the coalition invasion and occupation many times on almost every major current affairs programme in the UK. Everyone in the UK knows I am one of Bush's and Blair's fiercest critics.
I do not understand why you falsely describe me as pro-war and favouring imperialist intervention. I have argued the exact opposite, including criticising the pro-war left. For over 20 years (unlike most of the left)
I supported regime change from within Iraq to topple Saddam, and explicitly opposed western invasion ie. I proposed a strategy of solidarity with the democratic and left opposition to empower the Iraqi people to liberate themselves. Specifically, I backed aid (including military aid) to the Kurds, communists and Shias to help them overthrow Saddam. Of the Shias, I was most sympathetic to the democratic, secular wing of the Dawa party.
This "empower the oppressed" strategy is no more pro-imperialist than the western aid given to the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa or to the US aid given in WW2 to Hi Chi Minh in Vietnam and to the British aid given to the anti-Nazi resistance in occupied Europe.
In the light of this information, I hope you will correct the information you have published and advise all the sources to which you have disseminated these false claims.
Many thanks.
Yours comradely, Peter Tatchell

PETER TATCHELL HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
Donations are requested to help fund Peter Tatchell's campaigns promoting democracy, human rights and social justice, including action against tyrants and torturers. Peter is unpaid and receives no grants. To continue his human rights work, he depends on donations from friends and supporters.
Please make cheques payable to: "Peter Tatchell Human Rights Fund".
Send to: Peter Tatchell Human Rights Fund, PO Box 35253, London E1 4YF
Web: www.tatchellrightsfund.org
Email: info at tatchellrightsfund.org
Thank you. Richard Kirker, Treasurer PTHRF
peter at tatchell.freeserve.co.uk
www.petertatchell.net
www.outrage.org.uk

Email: info at tatchellrightsfund.org

Thank you. Richard Kirker, Treasurer PTHRF

peter at tatchell.freeserve.co.uk
www.petertatchell.net
www.outrage.org.uk