[Marxism] False claims re pro-war left

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 24 05:31:45 MST 2006

I think the quote from the Pasolini article I sent a few minutes ago
was too brief - I should have included the following paragraphs:

<quote>

Pasolini, being gay, was particularly sensitive to these issues. He
dreaded the absorption of homosexuality into the norm, writing: "It
is intolerable to be tolerated." Far from wishing to belong to any
gay community, Pasolini saw homosexuality as a challenge from
society: "They have always condemned not so much the homosexual as
such, but the writer whose homosexuality has not been cowed, not
driven into conformism." There is a more far-reaching observation
behind Pasolini's attitude: economic power and media power had been
conjoined, and the masters of the world were also masters of its
representation. This has moved the people of the world ever closer to
the status of a planetary middle class, uniform and profane.

Pasolini's starting point for this theme, as always, was a physical
observation: the underclass of the Roman outskirts had begun to dream
of acceptance into the norm. They were dressing like bourgeois
students - jeans and long hair - and using the same slang. The third
world, including Italy's own third world, the mezzogiorno, was trying
to fit itself into the mould of western pseudo-universality. The
mainstream seemed to be imposing its unique, exclusive model with the
help of that instrument of homogenisation, television, which Pasolini
hated. He described this process as "the brutal, totalitarian
levelling of the world" and condemned "the degrading order of the
horde". The new power of the market and media was quietly succeeding
where fascism had failed, reducing people to a mass of passive,
alienated consumers.

This depressing vision has become ever more accurate over the last 30
years. Pasolini believed that resistance must be as much personal as
political. The only way to confront this new order is to defend our
own individual separateness, to be as wary of conformity in rebellion
as of the powers that be.

<unquote>

Paddy
http://apling.freeservers.com