[Marxism] Peter Tatchell: Is he "pro-war"?

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:35:03 MST 2006

Louis wrote:

>Tatchell is a highly dubious character, combining gay activism with
>pro-imperialist propaganda.

I have a great deal of respect for much of Tatchell's work, but this gets
directly the problem I have with him.  Why gatecrash a demonstration for
Palestinians with placards accusing "Palestine" tout court of oppressing
gays?  And then when the predictable fracas occurs, why go back home and
interview yourself for a press release, accusing the co-demonstrators of
assaulting you?

Similarly, why does Tatchell think it appropriate to demonstrate for the
rights of racist cartoonists from Denmark alongside the far right Freedom
Association, but also argue that the Muslim Council of Britain should be
banned from the Unite Against Fascism conference?
(http://marchforfreeexpression.blogspot.com/2006/03/why-i-support-freedom-of-expression.html;
http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2006/2/15/tatchell-calls-for-uaf-ban-on-mcb.html).

Why does he insist on spreading disinformation about Muslims and Muslim
groups, such as the contrived smears against Yusuf al-Qaradawi and the
hysteria about Adam Yosef?  His unfortunate obsession with non-whites has
lead to serious condemnation from the Lesbian & Gay Coalition Against
Racism, as well as Imaan, the Muslim gay rights organisation.  And while he
is quick to launch witch-hunts against such people, he so far hasn't had a
word to say about the anti-Muslim racism of Galha, with whom his
organisation has often worked.

On Yusuf al-Qaradawi, here is Imaan's response:

"We are concerned about the impact that continued distortion of Dr Yusuf
Al-Qaradawi's views is likely to have. There was another example of this
distortion in last week's Observer (Mandarins in a Mess, 4th September).
Nick Cohen quoted an Outrage press release which claimed that Al-Qaradawi
had called for the stoning of an Arab if claims he was gay were true. The
source was an inaccurate report in Aljazeera magazine (no link to the well
known electronic media station), which claimed to have sourced Al-Qaradawi's
view from Islam Online. A careful reading of this website reveals this was
the view of Sheikh Al-Munajjid. Both Aljazeera magazine and GALHA have
removed articles from their websites following this clarification. Outrage
has not. We disagree with Al-Qaradawi's views on homosexuality, which mirror
views of Jewish and Christian leaders, but we believe that singling out
Islam as being uniquely reactionary encourages Islamophobia and divides the
Muslim and Lesbian and Gay communities. We believe it is correct for
institutions such as the Foreign Office to work with all religious leaders
on issues for those communities.

"What is not helpful in the fight against homophobia and Islamophobia,
oppressions that equally victimise LGBT Muslims, is having the media and
groups such as GALHA, Outrage and others continuously misrepresenting Islam.
Journalists should ensure their facts are accurate. Consulting with lesbian
and gay Muslim representative groups, before publishing articles that could
have an adverse effect on these communities, would also be a courtesy."

Report to London Assembly, 19 September 2005