[Marxism] Sinai / Jordan quid pro quo

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Mar 24 15:27:22 MST 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:24 Mar 2006, a las 7:26

> Message: 24
> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:19:44 +0100 (MEZ)
> From: " L?ko Willms " <lueko.willms at t-online.de>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] Greater Israel
> To: "Activists and scholars in Marxist tradition"
>  <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:29:06 -0500, Louis Proyect wrote:
>
>    after the 1967 war Israel ruled
>
> > from the Suez Canal to the Jordan
> > River, with Syria's Golan Heights thrown in for good measure.
>
> > The hard choice that divided the Zionist movement
> > before the state's inception whether to accept partition
> > and statehood on part of the Land of Israel or hold out
> > for the Whole Land had vanished overnight.
>
>   Well, actually they wanted all of the British colony of Palestine,
> which after its conquest consisted of what is today Palestine and
> Jordan; many Zionists protested against the partition in Cisjordan and
> Transjordan...

Well, I was in Israel during 1971, that is in the heyday of post 6-
day war chauvinism.  The general spirit was "Well, a good Sinai is
worth a Jordan".  During the 30s there was still some hope that a
good oilfield be found in the desert in Jordan, I think.  And perhaps
interest for the area vanished with the expected fields.

The real enemy by those times was, after Nasser, Iraq.  Maybe they
would also prefer to keep an easy guard on the frontier at the Suez
Channel and not with along a highly permeable frontier with Iraq.

But yes, I knew old Betar cadre some ten or twenty years ago who were
still wearing a necklace with a map of Eretz Israel Hashleymah, that
is the old colony of Palestine joining Jordan and Palestine.

In retrospect, Zeev Jabotinsky ends up as the most serious Zionist
thinker.

At least, the most coherent one.

>   This book which I asked about recently, "The Palestinians - People,
> History, Politics" ed.by Michael Curtis, Joseph Neyer, Chaim L. Waxman
> and Allen Pollack (I found it in my local university library) explains
> that to accept this "first partition of Eretz Israel" was the first
> big concession to the Palestinians...

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar