[Marxism] Query from an old friend about India

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Mar 26 07:32:55 MST 2006

i was going to ask you about India.  Last Friday I saw the first 3 of Louis
Malle's 6-part film aired on French TV in 1968, but made and financed by
him over 3-mo period traveling around India with tiny crew shooting
whatever interested them.  A 25-yr old article from film journal found on
internet said he considered himself a Marxist (not about this film per
se).  But, as his commentary says, he makes not attempt to rationally
explain what he encounters, but regards life and rituals as enchanting and
incomprehensible to Westerner.  I was left with a hunger for a historical
materialist explanation of village life, economy, and caste
system.  Consulted Perry Anderson's Linegaes of the Absolutist
State.  Appendix on Oriental Despotism touches on this in passing, but
mainly puts Marx and Engels' often referenced brief comments (terminology
and evidence) in context of previous European attempts to evaluate economic
and political foundations of Chinese and Indian society. Any suggestions?