[Marxism] re: Great Alex Cockburn article on Dems and the war

Bonnie Weinstein giobon at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 26 12:44:33 MST 2006

Dear Rohan,

The Democratic party will never, has never stood up for the working class.
Are you saying that Democrats--elected officials and such--should begin to
listen to their constituency who opposes Bush? Are you implying that they
could and will? Are you actually asking this 100 percent pro-Capitalist
party do a "turn around" and be a vehicle for ending the war?

They will not be a vehicle for any such thing. It may be possible for a
massive antiwar movement to drag them kicking and screaming to a place where
they have to end the war and bring the troops home--as they all (Democrats
and Republicans) had to do in the case of the War in Vietnam, because of the
tenacity of the Vietnamese people, the resistance in the U.S. Military and
the giant antiwar movement at home and across the globe, but it wasn't be
because they wanted to end the war--they just didn't want to loose it.

There is not only no sense in "pressuring the Democratic Party" it leads to
miss-education on a profound level. There is a big difference in demanding
that the elected officials and the party act in accordance with the demands
of their constituency, and lobbying Democrats--supporting some and
encouraging a vote against others.

It presupposes that if it wanted to, the Democratic party could become the
vehicle for change and that is not true and an exercise in futility that
leads to hopelessness. Workers' solidarity against Capitalism is our only
hope and there ain't no pro-capitalist Democratic party going to lead the
way.

I still stand by my comments.

Bonnie Weinstein