[Marxism] Swans Release: March 27, 2006

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Mar 26 17:55:27 MST 2006

http://www.swans.com/
March 27, 2006 -- In this issue:

Note from the Editor:  Two weeks ago, we did say that "Milosevic's
passing would be in the news for a couple of days at most," didn't we?
Zilch, nothing, gone, vanished from the corporate media, and there
certainly has not been any coverage from his sham trial at The Hague.
But, dear readers, this is Swans... So, here are two pieces that bring
some much needed light to what has been so willfully obscured. First,
Louis Proyect provides a cogent depiction of the demonization of
Milosevic and the ICTY's inability to link him with war crimes, instead
keeping him in poor health to avoid an acquittal or lesser charges.
Second, an interview by John Catalinotto of Sara Flounders, both of the
International Action Center, who have worked and written tirelessly on
the realities behind the Yugoslav Wars. Their discussion includes
Flounders's meeting with Milosevic in The Hague, exposes the true
criminals and real profiteers, and asks keen questions about the
circumstances behind his death. At Swans we have never vacillated in our
analysis of this political lynching and have constantly refused to
demonize the Serbs. It is therefore gratifying to have John, Louis, and
Sara choose to be published in these pages on such an historical, muddied
issue. Two must-read articles.

Alternatively, one can read the Washington Post travel section, in which
outsiders are flocking to the now-peaceful Balkans to "swoon over the
stunning landscapes." Next stop: Iraq Adventure Vacations... War? What
war? Just a figment of the media's liberal imagination. Yet no matter how
it's spun, war is always murder, says Deck Deckert, pointing out the
parallels between Vietnam and Iraq. In a similar vein, Philip Greenspan
reveals the patterns from conflict to conflict, in which it's always the
elite who profit and the ordinary Joes who suffer.

There was little suffering and much joy to be found at San Francisco's
War Memorial Opera House recently, where Keith Jarrett gave a solo piano
performance extraordinaire and our editors had a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity to attend. With a slightly different perspective on 21st
century culture, Charles Marowitz reviews Neil LaBute's play, Fat Pig,
which captures a picture of the sordid life of our times.

These sordid times include the government-sanctioned poisoning of our
food and water, as Jan Baughman illustrates. Perhaps the disappearing
notion of "common good" that Julian Edney describes can explain why our
government places tuna profits for the few over mercury poisoning for the
many. Can we look to the US Supreme Court to adjudicate in the interest
of We the People? George Beres has a warning about the dogma therein.

Our hungry man Milo Clark reaches for his favorite weapon, a book --
"Summer Snow" by William T. Hathaway, and the poetic Gerard Donnelly
Smith shares some stanzas on the law of diminishing returns. Finally, no
Blips, but we offer our continuing exchange on Israel and Palestine with
Dr. Jacob Amir; and myriad letters regarding Mr. Milosevic, Mr. Marowitz,
totalitarianism, election fraud, and more.

As always, please form your OWN opinion, and let your friends (and foes)
know about Swans.

                                               *****

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/lproy35.html
The Demonization And Death Of Slobodan Milosevic
- Louis Proyect

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/zig090.html
The Milosevic Case
- John Catalinotto Interviews Sara Flounders

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/rdeck060.html
War Is Always Murder
- Deck Deckert

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/pgreen85.html
Who's The Enemy?
- Philip Greenspan

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/ga206.html
Keith Jarrett In San Francisco
- Gilles d'Aymery

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/cmarow42.html
"Fat Pigs" And The American Drama
- Charles Marowitz

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/jeb155.html
Government-Sanctioned Food Poisoning
- Jan Baughman

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/jedney01.html
Who Stole The Common Good? The Shadow of Ayn Rand
- Julian Edney

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/gberes10.html
US Supreme Court And Catholic Church Dogma
- George Beres

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/mgc180.html
William T. Hathaway's "Summer Snow"
- Milo Clark

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/gsmith64.html
The Law Of Diminishing Returns
- Poem by Gerard Donnelly Smith

http://www.swans.com/library/art12/letter87.html
Your Letters

                                                #####

Swans (aka Swans Commentary), ISSN: 1554-4915, is a bi-weekly non-
commercial ad-free Web-only magazine which provides original content to
its readers. We encourage pulp publications to republish Swans' Work in
print format. Please contact the publisher at <aymery AT ix.netcom.com>.
Please, do not repost Swans' Work on the Web and other mailing lists:
"Hypertext" links to any pages of Swans.com are authorized; however,
republication of any part of this site, inlining, mirroring, and framing
are expressly prohibited. We welcome your comments and suggestions. When
writing to Swans, please indicate your first and last name as well as
your city and state (country) of residence.

Thank you for reading Swans. Please, consider financially supporting our
co-operative work. See http://www.swans.com/about/donate.html

Gilles d'Aymery
--
Swans

"Hungry man, reach for the book: It is a weapon."  B. Brecht