[Marxism] Do you agree or disagree with the following proposition

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Mar 27 09:28:28 MST 2006

Production and economic classes are the starting point of Marxist analysis
of human society, including in the Manifesto, because human life, like all
plant and animal life must fulfill biological needs to exist as life at all.
Marx and Engels are looking for _necessity_ to put historical materialism on
a scientific basis. In human biology there is necessity, things that must be
done.

I agree with one exception... What about using the phrase "social classes"
instead of "economic classes" in order to stress the totality of social
reality? I guess we are all sick and tired of hearing non-Marxists muppets
repeating over: "Can't you see? Marx was an economic determinist." Or "can't
you see that Marxism is now irrelevant? Even the Soviet Union collapsed."

  Thanks

Yavuz Tuyloglu

^^^^^^
CB; I appreciate your comment. Certainly these classes are social classes.
Production is _social_ in the first place for humans. Greater sociality is
what distinguishes human labor and production from that  of other species.

So, the classes in human society to which I refer are social.

However, the issue I am trying to get at is that the determining role of the
class struggle in historical change is rooted in the fact that economic
classes ( social as they are) do the work of meeting biological needs. In
modern society there is a lot of other production of goods and services that
do not directly meet biological needs. Nonetheless, the ancient, necessary
task of meeting biological needs still must met in modern production. And is
it the fact that the production to meet biological needs is located in "the
economy" of modern society the reason that Marx and Engels focused on
socio-_economic_ classes in trying to find what is _necessary_ in human
activity ?

Marx and Engels essay this in _The German Ideology_.