[Marxism] Do you agree or disagree with the following proposition

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Mar 27 11:38:29 MST 2006

> _Capitalist_ classes are not the natural organization of society, as
> capitalist theorists claim, and Marx opposed. However the struggle of
> socio-economic classes under capitalism is determinative of the motion of
> society _because_ biologically necessary production is done by
> socio-economic classes in capitalism, as in all class divided modes of
> production.

I think the use of the word 'biologically' is incongruous here. I think
'socially' necessary is required when describing the system of production
under
capitalism. Classes are the end point of capitalist mode of production, not
the
starting point.

JD
^^^^^^
CB; I use "biology" because only meeting our physiological needs is
materially necessary. They are the only activities that we really _must_ do,
from the standpoint of the material world. Everything else that humans do is
"optional". As long as we meet our biological minimums, we can do anything
else we want to do.

We can have any _social_ activities we want. The only thing materially
_necessary_ about social activities is the extent to which they meet
biological material necessities.

Granted, the state materially coerces us to do many other things. But that's
a different level and later in history.