[Marxism] WSWS review of "V for Vendetta"

Nick Fredman srcsra at scu.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 19:08:45 MST 2006

David Walsh's WSWS review http://wsws.org/articles/2006/mar2006/vend-m27.shtml:

>I could possibly be convinced otherwise, but basing a serious film
>on a 'graphic novel' seems to me a questionable proposition. Is that
>not perhaps an inherently limited medium? Such an argument could be
>made. Almost inevitably the word 'cartoonish,' and not meant as a
>compliment, comes to mind<

A review of the review: I find Walsh's reviews interesting and
politically spot on, but also rather square, i.e. a bit ignorant of
newer cultural forms. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about graphic
novels, but I know there's some serious artistic and political work
there, like Art Spiegelman's Holocaust novel /Maus/. There's the
emerging genre of graphic non-fiction work, including Joe Sacco's
/Palestine/, see
http://www.fpigraphics.co.uk/acatalog/Complete_Palestine.html and my
GLW review http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2003/549/549p21.htm,
which includes a lively essay on the joys and politics of comics by
Edward Said. There's also /Persepolis/, Marjane Satrapi's
autobiographical tale of living through the Iranian revolution as the
child of leftists.
http://www.randomhouse.com/pantheon/graphicnovels/persepolis.html