[Marxism] Myth of the happy slave

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 28 11:57:44 MST 2006

http://hnn.us/articles/23113.html

Horowitz, Genovese, and the Varieties of Culture War: Comments on the
Continuing Unpleasantness in Idaho
By William L. Ramsey

Perhaps the institution of slavery as it existed in the antebellum South
was permitted by the Bible, as my Fundamentalist and Neo-Confederate
opponents insist. I rather hope not, but I have never challenged them on
that point. It strikes me as a nineteenth-century coffin they are welcome
to continue nesting in if they like. But it never ends there. They must
always go on to recast the South's "peculiar institution" as a positively
"pleasant" and worthwhile experience for southern blacks, and I, perhaps
foolishly, have felt obliged as a professional historian to explain that
such views are not in agreement with the documentary record.

The very public controversies surrounding these encounters have produced
some interesting results. My opponents have learned, for their part, to use
increasingly clever arguments to arrive at their foregone conclusions, and,
just as important, to enlist the expertise of conservative scholars like
Eugene Genovese to assist them in that effort, while I have become
increasingly inured to a broad range of personal attacks, character
assassination, and efforts at political intimidation. None of it has helped
me professionally in my quest for academic recognition and tenure, and it
might well be asked whether the cost of public engagement is worth the
withering punishment that can sometimes come with it. The question seems
all the more pertinent as the academy finds itself increasingly under
assault from conservative activists such as David Horowitz, whose
credentials as a former Marxist turned conservative are not far different
from Genovese's (I will leave the significance of this to the
prosopographers). Yet rightwing offensives against mainstream scholarship
do not all operate from a common ideological foundation, and I feel that
our challenges to Neo-Confederate historical fraud have helped reveal some
of the fault lines that distinguish those co-belligerents on the right from
each other. Most importantly, I argue that scholars can put such fault
lines to work in the public square as they seek to defend the mission and
value of the academic enterprise.

Even so, the benefits of public engagement can be slow in coming and
frustratingly subtle. For two years after a colleague and I issued our
initial challenge to Pastor Douglas Wilson and Steven Wilkins (co-founder
of the League of the South, identified as a hate group by the Southern
Poverty Law Center), they clung to the myth of a righteous and beneficent
slave system with a tenacity that we never expected. In their notorious
Biblical defense of racial slavery, Southern Slavery, As It Was (please be
aware: the booklet is being hosted by a "kinist" website that includes what
I regard to be racially offensive material), they had made a pretense of
grounding their celebration of slavery on historical data, especially the
narratives collected from former slaves in the 1930s, but that was intended
for a select audience of believers. For objective readers, we reasoned, the
slave narratives simply did not support Wilson's contention that former
slaves remembered the experience of forced labor in "overwhelmingly
positive" terms, or that "the majority of those interviewed complain that
they would rather be slaves again than to be free." So it seemed
inconceivable that they would prolong the farce in full view of their
neighbors. But they did. Wilson in particular had a great deal to lose in
material terms if he acknowledged his errors, especially in his role as
founder of the Classical Christian School movement and president of the
Association of Classical and Christian Schools (he was recently interviewed
by an admiring Pat Robertson on CBN). At no time in the three years since
we issued our book review have Wilson or Wilkins acknowledged any
substantive flaws in their pro-slavery booklet, aside from foot-noting and
citation mistakes. Indeed, Southern Slavery As It Was continued to be
assigned in high school history classes at member schools in Wilson's
Association of Classical and Christian Schools as late as November 2004. It
was finally withdrawn after the North Carolina News and Observer published
an expose about its continued use at Cary Christian School, along with
extensive quotes from the booklet.

Behind his public intransigence and propaganda, however, Wilson knew the
booklet was flawed and, worse, that the obvious nature of the flaws made
the core argument more difficult to sell to a mainstream audience. He
discontinued publication of it (easily done since he published it himself)
and privately sought the advice of scholars who were sympathetic toward his
religious views and his classical school movement in order to revise it.
Bancroft prize winning historian Eugene Genovese, famous for his
groundbreaking study of slavery, Roll, Jordan, Roll, helped Wilson find
ways of answering the critical obstacles that we had put in his way, and
Wilson's revised and expanded (and still self-published) version of the
book, Black and Tan: Essays and Excursions on Slavery, Culture War, and
Scripture in America, is a testament to Genovese's skill as an editor and
mentor. It is trumpeted as Mr. Wilson's triumphant response to "liberal"
academics like me who criticize southern slavery as a harsh system, and
Genovese's blurb on the back cover drives the point home by denouncing
"most professors of American History, whose distortions and trivializations
disgrace our college classrooms." So has anything really changed over the
last three years? Were we foolish to challenge Neo-Confederate historical
misinformation in the first place, and what, if anything, can be learned
from it all?

(clip)

--

www.marxmail.org