[Marxism] Hamas legislators vow continued resistance to Israel

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Wed Mar 29 02:56:46 MST 2006

Hamas MP's vow for jihad
by
Tuesday 28 March 2006 4:39 PM GMT

The parliament approved the cabinet by 71-to-36 vote

Hamas adopted a strident tone after its cabinet won approval in the
Palestinian parliament, with one MP declaring "jihad is our way".

The parliament, dominated by members of the Islamist group, approved the
cabinet line-up by 71 to 36 on Tuesday.

The cabinet was expected to be sworn in on Wednesday by Mahmoud Abbas,
the Palestinian president whose long-dominant Fatah faction refused to
join the new government.

Chanting "God is Greatest" after the vote, Hamas parliamentarians hugged
and kissed Ismail Haniya, their prime minister-designate, who vowed not
to abandon the fight against Israel.

One Hamas MP, Hamed Bitawi, said: "The Quran is our constitution, jihad
is our way, and death for the sake of God is our highest aspiration."

His comments stood in contrast to a more conciliatory speech by Haniya
on Monday in which he stressed the new government's push for peace and
dialogue.

The earlier speech drew fire from some MPs for not stressing resistance.

Change of tone

In presenting the cabinet for parliamentary approval on Monday, Haniya
sought to reach out to the West by saying his government was ready for
talks with the "Quartet" of Middle East mediators on bringing a "just
peace" to the region.

In contrast, on Tuesday, Haniya said: "We were born from the womb of
resistance, we will protect resistance and the arm of resistance will
not be touched."

"The Quran is our constitution, jihad is our way, and death for the sake
of God is our highest aspiration" [said]

Hamed Bitawi, Hamas MP

Addressing Mariam Farhat, a newly-elected Hamas parliamentarian whose
three sons died fighting Israel, Haniya said: "This the fruit of the
sacrifices by martyrs, including your sons. You've got to be proud of
this day."

Israel seized on Haniya's change of tone, saying it reflected the new
government's "extremist" policies.

Mark Regev, the foreign ministry spokesman, said: "I hope the sort of
remarks we heard today help to dissolve any possible illusion that might
exist as to the true character of this new Palestinian leadership."

After the vote, Haniya and several newly approved cabinet ministers
prayed at the house of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, the co-founder of Hamas who
was killed by an Israeli airstrike in 2004.

"We are coming to congratulate you and to say that the blood of our
Sheikh [Yassin] did not go in vain," Haniya told Yassin's widow.

Reuters
By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/1A014B78-768C-4775-B28F-297DD4A3C