[Marxism] Why Isn't This the Number One Story? (spoiler; the question is rhetorical)

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Wed Mar 29 09:35:01 MST 2006

U.S. AGREES TO ISSUE ABU GHRAIB IMAGES

Defense Department withdraws appeal challenging ACLU request

Tuesday, March 28, 2006; Posted: 10:47 p.m. EST (03:47 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Defense Department has withdrawn its appeal
challenging a district court order requiring it to turn over to civil
rights groups 74 photographs and three videotapes depicting images of
abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad, officials said Tuesday. ...

I heard this story this morning on NPR. After sending out some e-
mails I turned to the Google news. But there was nothing there. So I
typed in "Abu Ghraib" at the head of the Google news and got the
following.

> US agrees to issue Abu Ghraib images
> CNN - 12 hours ago
> ... a district court order requiring it to turn over to civil
> rights groups 74 photographs and three videotapes depicting images
> of abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in ...
> US to release more Abu Ghraib photos Aljazeera.net
> US agrees to release Abu Ghraib pictures Washington Post
> US agrees to release Abu Ghraib photos Salon
> Aljazeera.com - FOX News - all 174 related »

Shouldn't there be almost a 1,000 hits by now?

Only 174 related over a half day after the CNN notice, which itself
has to be from yesterday. It is not yet up on the NY Times. As you
can see it is in the Washington Post, but not at the head of the WP url.

Well, here is the full Post article from yesterday. And its origin is
Reuters. Ho hum, just some torture and video that members of congress
said made them sick to the stomach and are worse than what was
originally released.

Brian
____________________________

US agrees to release Abu Ghraib pictures

By Christine Kearney
Reuters
Tuesday, March 28, 2006; 8:37 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Defense Department on Tuesday agreed to
release 74 photos and three videos -- many that have already been
published -- that depict prisoner abuse in Abu Ghraib and were sought
by civil rights groups.

The Defense Department had appealed an order by U.S. District Judge
Alvin Hellerstein that said the government must release photos
provided by Sgt. Joseph Darby, whose photos set off the Iraqi
prisoner abuse scandal.

After initially arguing the publication of the images could incite
more violence in Iraq, the government withdrew their appeal and
promised to release the images within seven days of the court's
approval.

In court papers, the government noted that Web site Salon.com
published images depicting the treatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib
prison.

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, Salon.com recently
posted 279 photographs and 19 videos from Abu Ghraib on its Web site.

The Defense Department will identify any of Darby's images already
published on Salon.com and release edited versions of any that may
not have appeared on the Web site, it said in court documents. The
pictures have been edited so the faces of the prisoners are not shown.

A U.S. defense official, who asked not to be named, said: "This
stipulation only applies to the 74 photos and three videos that were
part of the litigation. We reserve the right to repeat arguments and
to appeal future orders to release other images."

The release of the images is part of a Freedom of Information Act
suit filed in 2003 by civil rights groups, including the American
Civil Liberties Union, or ACLU, over treatment of detainees in Iraq,
Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay.

"The withdrawal of the government's appeal only confirms there was no
legal basis for withholding these images from the public in the first
case," ACLU attorney Amrit Singh said.

"This is a significant victory for the public's right to know the
whole truth about the widespread abuse of detainees in US custody
abroad."

The ACLU also noted the release of unpublished images of abuse at Abu
Ghraib by Australian current affairs program "Dateline" in February,
as well as the Salon.com images, may have prompted the withdrawal.

In his order last year, Hellerstein said releasing the images would
initiate debate on the conduct of American soldiers and about the
U.S. Army's command structure.

To date, 90,000 pages of documents have been released to the civil
rights groups, which have filed suit against several government
departments and agencies, including the CIA, FBI and Department of
Justice.

The Court of Appeals is due to hear arguments on another part of the
case -- the CIA's refusal to confirm or deny two documents, including
a presidential executive order, relating to interrogation techniques
-- on June 15.