[Marxism] Confusing Turkey with Iraq

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 29 13:34:02 MST 2006

From: http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/attytood/archives/003008.html

This is a picture
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/archive/ap/DowntownBaghdad1.jpg)
that Howard Kaloogian, a conservative Republican candidate in San Diego's
upcoming congressional special election to replace disgraced GOPer Duke
Cunningham, has placed on his Web site. It is billed as a photo that
Kaloogian and his party took on a recent trip to Iraq. Here's his
provocative caption:

We took this photo of downtown Baghdad while we were in Iraq. Iraq
(including Baghdad) is much more calm and stable than what many people
believe it to be. But, each day the news media finds any violence occurring
in the country and screams and shouts about it - in part because many
journalists are opposed to the U.S. effort to fight terrorism.

OK. But look very carefully at this picture. Notice anything unusual? Just
like those puzzles they used to run in the Sunday comics section, see how
many, um, mistakes you can spot in the photo.

---

Comments to the blog discussing the real origins of the photo:

This is interesting.

Contains reference to http://www.2noter.com.tr website which doesn't seem
up at the time, but that's a turkish domain, and the name on the sign above
the Edo shop. In fact, googling "2noter" or "2.noter" leads mostly to
turkish sites.

A little more searching and I see "noter" is apparently Turkish for Notary
Public.
Posted by: wtfwjd? at March 28, 2006 11:25 PM

====

turkey

2. noter is a hotel in turkey
Posted by: cueball at March 28, 2006 11:35 PM

====

This fraud is covered in the diary section of the DailyKos (anthonyL).
There are over 600 responses and one of the last has good evidence that the
photo was taken in Marmaris, a seaside town in Turkey.

One person is pursuing 2.noter addresses with an Edo ice cream store in the
same building to fix on the intersection. Another has sent the whole thing
to a dozen or so Turkish news organizations. Several posters are forwarding
the detective work to the Busby campaign.
Posted by: john gleeson at March 28, 2006 11:39 PM

--

www.marxmail.org