[Marxism] Re James Petras: The Tyranny Of Israel Over America

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Wed Mar 29 18:20:11 MST 2006

James Petras (quoted by Lou):
>>Disastrous wars in the service of Israel may cause American citizens to
reflect on and react to the tyranny of Israel over US foreign policy.
Eventually we may even see the re-founding of an American Republic "free
from foreign entanglements" to quote George Washington and from "Benedicts
Arnolds" parading as US Senators.<<

This is like the constant argument we get in Australia that our involvement
in Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Vietnam, or wherever isn't really in the
Australian national interest. This is normally connected to the view that
Australia is a helpless pawn of America -- a "lapdog" for George Bush. And
that Australian politicians are traitors (Benedict Arnolds, if you like).

The first problem with this argument is that it accepts the whole idea  of
"national interest" across classes. The second is that it offers a
conspiracy as a substitute for serious analysis of the important, material
reasons why the ruling class does what it does. The third is that it
undermines the whole understanding of Australia as imperialist in its own
right.

But at least the notion of America dominating Australia has some factual
basis -- America is in fact much more powerful and does broadly dictate the
terms of the world order. The idea that Israel can systematically
manipulate America is obvious crap. And come to think of it, it's
potentially anti-semitic crap.